Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Overwhelmed...

The secret of getting ahead is getting started. The secret of getting started is breaking your complex overwhelming tasks into small manageable tasks, and then starting on the first one.”...Mark Twain

Do you ever look at a task and just feel tired thinking about it? That's how I'm feeling right now. I know how to pack cabinets, drawers, even whole rooms. I can organize with the best of them and I can dole out "to do lists". My problem is getting overwhelmed at big tasks and therefore not even gettting started.
I have basically packed everything that is not essential in our house. We still have out towels, dishes, etc...but not much else. No pictures, toys, games, puzzles, etc. I look outside and feel like crying. How does a family pack "those things"...ya know, the half bottle of oil in case the lawn mower needs some. The 20th OLD rope of Vance's that "IS STILL GOOD." I worked on the little shed tonight, while my dear husband is on 'cation. What he doesn't know won't hurt him, right? No actually, we have the same ideas on what to keep and what not to, when it comes down to the nitty gritty.
On to the next overwhelming task...paint color and texture. WHEW...i need to just start choosing and it won't be so bad, but it's just getting started. YUCK!
Kelly said we have two weeks and then the tornado whirls in: painting, floors, outlets, plate covers, fixtures, vanities, cabinets, interior doors, door knobs.....need I say more? So it looks like my painting weekend could possibly be the 25th or a couple of evenings working up to that weekend. If you can help, I would be forever grateful! Keep in mind, this date is not set in stone...just tenative.
Update: Almost every wall on the main floor and Emma's floor are sheetrocked. There are little spots here and there where they are working on using scraps to fill them. Kelly is very good about using all materials possible. The tub faucet is causing some grief, so there has to be some extra work for that. I will be sure to take pics when it's finished, it's been quite the topic of conversation! I was going to take pics of the walls today, but it was so dark and there isn't enough electricity in the house to give it justice. Maybe tomorrow?
As you say your prayers tonight: lift up Tracy Ketchum(senior and my A+ mentor)...she was in a bad car accident this morning and not doing well, Donald Gooden's family...(Vance's great uncle) lost his battle with cancer this morning, Erin and Trenton Tallman....God has a plan.

3 comments:

Candy said...

I know it seems all overwhelming right now, but it can only get better. I am sorry to hear about you A+ student and the Gooden family's loss. My prayers and thoughts going out to you and everyone else too. Keep a positive attitude on life and it will turn out ok in the end.

Corin said...

Paint colors: Just remember it is changable. Start with a room that your pretty sure you know what color you want like Emma's room. Then you've got started without even trying.
Helping paint: I'm so excited to help you guys paint and I'm going to be so bummed if it's the weekend we have company. I realize it's a little sad that I'm excited but I am.
Prayer request: I'm so sorry to hear about Tracy and Vance's uncle. I'll be keeping all of those families in my prayers.

Bree Shaw said...

i think i will be able to paint by then. i have a wedding at 4 that day but i can still help. especially at nights. i know the date is not set in stone but trust me i will be there:) i may not be the "perfect" painter but you can't complain when the help is free, right:)?