Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Firsts and Lasts

As we prepare to leave our little house, it occurs to me that although I am ecstatic to move into a house that Vance and I have dreamed about for many, many years...we are leaving something behind....
Our firsts and some of our lasts....
The last time I will vacuum the carpet, where my babies took their first steps.
The last time I will clean the bathtub, where my babies took their first baths.
The last time I will mow the yard, where they learned how to pump a swing, hit a ball, and run like the wind.
The last time I will drive up the driveway, where they learned to ride a bike.
I think back to how excited and proud Vance and I were to buy that house. How we painted into the night, picked out carpet, replaced the floor in the bathroom the night before I had Colby. (No not even carrying a toilet would put me into labor!)
This is the house where we decorated the room anxiously waiting for Colby to come home and then repainted when we added a little girl.
So, no I won't miss the door you have to hook back with a rope, or the bathroom made for 1, or the fact that no doors actually shut....but I have often heard that love grows best in little houses and I am a firm believer.
So, thank you little house for letting our love grow....

9 comments:

Bree Shaw said...

alright where is the body to your post?

Finding Joy in the Journey said...

maybe its the hormones but that one made me teary.

Andrea Frederick said...

Bree: I was working on it.
Jenn: Me too and I have no excuse, must be too much work and not enough sleep.

Bree Shaw said...

it made me teary too. i know how you feel about the firsts, even though we moved just across the yard. once you are in it will be better until you look at old pictures and then you take a trip down memory lane.

Erin said...

Can't be the hormones, cause it made me teary too.

Corin said...

Okay, nothing like a good morning cry. It's to early to be that deep. Don't you love the part of pregnancy where you can blame everything on it? I really miss that. Now I'm just emotional for no good reason.

Cindy said...

Teary so early in the morning, thanks for being so good at that! Just remember to take pics even though things are not exactly like they were before you started packing, just for the memories to look back and remember those times, make sure to take one of the driveway for the memories of driving in. I know I am goofy about things like that, but I think will appreciate them later.....

Finding Joy in the Journey said...

i've cried every time we've moved...that's a lot of crying. its just the thought that everywhere you go you make memories (plus moving is just stressful, I think, and it makes your emotions uppy-downy!).

Diane Melvin said...

How touching. Thanks for sharing.