Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Obsession

For Christmas, I got my friend, Corin, two sessions of a t.v. sitcom. It was a sitcom I had never seen and had no desire to see. Don't get me wrong...Corin and I usually have the same taste, so the chances I would like it were pretty good. I mean we usually agree....except apparently she does not care for Dirty Dancing and I could never get into Footloose and American Graffiti. Anyway, the reason I didn't want to watch it was because of the name. The name Gilmore Girls led me to believe it was just another group of girls. Maybe....






Another group of lonely and desperate housewives.



Or maybe, a group of friends/allies/far fetched sexiness.



Or my favorite....friends with just the right touch of sarcasm and love.


So she lent me Season 1 and I decided to give it a try with many hours of laying on the couch with my tummyache. What did I discover?

This:

A wonderful mother/daughter relationship. Now, I understand that the mom, Lorelai had her daughter when she was 16. Do I wish this on myself? No, but their bond/friendship is exceptional. I want this for my daughter and I. I want her to tell me about her first kiss, who she has a crush on, why she has had a bad day. I want to be able to trust her if she comes home late and believe her "story." I want to know that I have given her all the ammunition to go out into the world and face all the pressures and temptations that stand before a young girl. I understand that this starts young, and Emma and I talk every night. I tell her how proud I am of the big girl she has become, and how I hope she will still love me when she gets big. I know this seems like a given, but I've seen so many teenage girls turn into horrible people when they enter that "age." I think it starts young and I intend to "grow" that relationship, so we are prepared when that time comes.
Soooo...needless to say Corin, I am hooked and will be needing Season 2 soon!


8 comments:

Erin said...

I love that show....I always envied their relationship. I hated when it went off the air...

Finding Joy in the Journey said...

I might have to borrow them, too...and I understand your want for a deep relationship with Emma. I want the same for Natalee and I and think about it already.

Corin said...

Yeah!! I'm so glad you liked the show I figured you would. I have no doubt that you and Emma will have a similar relationship. Look at all the stuff she already tells you. She's never afraid to tell you exactly what's on her mind. And because your such a good mommy you listen and go along with what ever that maybe. I believe nurturing that will make it seem like second nature to tell you those things when she's big. You just have to remember to control the natural urge to scream "not my baby" when she tells you about her first kiss.

Shonya said...

Ooooh, I've never seen this either. You make it sound really good! I'm reading this book right now, called "Do Hard Things: A Teenage Rebellion Against Low Expectations". Its premise is basically that the teenage years don't have to be about rebellion and strained parent/child relationships, but that teens have valuable things to offer. I hear your heart with Emma--I'm right there with you with my girls, esp Briana who is turning 13 in Feb! I don't want to lose what I have with her!!!!!!

Andrea Frederick said...

Thanks Corin....I appreciate your confidence in me!
Shonya~don't get me wrong. The show is wonderful, but there are also lots of things the mom tells her daughter that I would NEVER tell or share with my daughter. So, as you watch it, if you do...don't think I'm crazy:)

Bree Shaw said...

i will have to watch it too:) i don't have a girl to share that kind of relationship with, but i want a realationship with my boys like that. i have a lot to say here, so i will just have to post about it:(

Shonya said...

tee-hee, ok i'll keep that in mind and just focus on the good!

Anonymous said...

I love Shelby and my relationship. She is 13 and I look at her and almost cry sometimes just for the fact that she is becoming a beautiful, smart, good decision making (most of the time), young lady. Don't get me wrong...as you know, we have our moments and I want to give her a good whopin, but for the overall package, I couldn't ask for anything different. So far I love the teenage years and hope they continue to be just as good. I fully believe if you start a talking relationship with Emma and Colby now, you will definately have that for years to come. It's never too late to start guiding your children to knowing that you are their "rock" in life. Love ya, Kristina