Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Food for thought!

Tonight, we had a guy come by to "talk shop." He just finished linemen school and is anxious to GET OUT THERE! He's making plans, dreaming dreams and it's so fun to watch. After he left...I asked Vance if he reminded him of anybody? No, Vance said. I told him he reminded me of him(Vance). Vance was all ready to get out there, work hard, enjoy himself...just like this "kid." He had big plans of owning land, horses, a new house, etc. and has accomplished alot of those goals in 10 short years. So, as I scurried about cleaning up a sugar cookie making explosion, made supper, daily house maintenance, listened to reading for homework, washed a little girl's hair...I just smiled. I was that person. The dreamer...and my dreams are now reality. I refuse to be the person that says..."Oh, no you don't want to build a house, it's a lot of work." or "Wait to have kids, enjoy yourself." and Vance didn't poop on his parade either. He patiently listened to him recount his sparse experience with electricity. Never making him feel inexperienced, unknowledgeable, etc. The poor guy is excited and rearing to go...who are we to stop him or much less...rain on his parade! I always hated it when people said that to me. Like when we were getting married and they would say... *insert cranky, old lady voice* "Just wait honey, after you've been married for 20 years it's not so much fun anymore." or when I was anxiously overdue to deliver..."Keep them inside for as long as possible, they're much easier to take care of!" Well, they may be right...but I want to figure that out for myself!

So, thank you God for that reality check. I am proud of what Vance and I have together accomplished and it's refreshing to see someone so like us. Young, in love, monstrous goals, outlandish dreams, and a GREAT, BIG SMILE and I'm glad we can be the support he needs instead of the nagging, unhappy wet hen!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Always know I can count on you to cheer me on and not rain on any parades!
-Lauren

Andrea Frederick said...

That's right, I will never be the pooper at the party!

Finding Joy in the Journey said...

Thanks for always being our support as well...I often dream big dreams and take on big projects that I drag you into and instead of being a pooper you grab a Pepsi and come along with me!

Bree Shaw said...

so, so true! thanks for reminding all of us. it is amazing what we all started out with and then to see us now. it is a great feeling, b/c not a lot of people could accomplish what we have. without family and friends a lot of it would not be possible!

Erin said...

You should know that I look at you & Vance for inspiration. When I think, there is no way I can raise babies in our tiny little house, or will I ever get to move to the country and have the house I dream of, or how in the world am I going to manage kids, a very busy job, and still stay sane...I think of you and Vance and remember that it can be done. It just takes patience, love, and perserverance. I think of the quote.." We may not have it all together, but together we have it all"

Diane Melvin said...

So true. Gail and I have only been married for 5 years, but have come a long way. Even last night was we were telling family members, who should have been happy for the fact that we bought a tractor, were doubting our decisions. We have heard the same doubt (from the same people) each time we purchase anything "big". From Gail's truck, our first land purchase, our second land purchase, cattle, and nwo the tractor. It gets a little old to always hear the negativity. Thanks for sharing a positive success story.

Andrea Frederick said...

Bree~I totally agree...friends and family are essential!
Erin~thanks, that makes me feel very special...and I agree...Together we DO have everything!
Jenn~As long as I have my pepsi I can go anywhere!
Diane~I know what you mean and that stinks. You and Gail have accomplished a lot too. Congrats...no party pooping here!