Friday, February 27, 2009

Some Mommy favs....

Anita @ Mud and Coffee asked me to post some of my book favs. These four are my all time #1's. I'll keep thinking and add a few every week.

This book is awesome. Especially for Emma, it asks God all kinds of questions and then changes font as God answers. At the end of every section, there is a place where the book backs all of their answers up with verses from the bible. It is an awesome and fun (b/c it rhymes) read, but can also be used to teach from. Just pick one question, use the verse, and run with it.
I Love You the Purplest....it's about a mom who has two boys. Both boys wants to know who she loves more. She never answers with, "I love you the most." She love one the reddest and one the bluest. In the end, mixing the two loves...makes purplest!

I picked this book for Colby. It is an neat play off of The Little Engine that Could. At the end of every school year, I am having his teacher write in it. When he graduates he'll have a memory book of all of his teachers and their thoughts. It's the perfect book for him, b/c when I started it, in preschool, he loved trains.
I am currently searching for a similar book for Emma. Can't decide. Any ideas?

Don't read this book unless you want to cry. The title brings tears to any mommy. The same author of the mommy date book...this book is about all the lasts. We remember the firsts, like the first tooth, first ball game, etc....but what about the lasts? The last little league game, the last lost tooth, the last time your child sits on your lap. I try to appreciate these times more, b/c I know they won't last forever. I think I'm going to start writing a letter to my kids in this book after every year, has a preserver of the memories that stand out in my mind. I will give this to them either on their graduation day or wedding day.
Hope you guys enjoyed....I love books and will have lots more to share!

7 comments:

Bree Shaw said...

i think that is a great idea to write them letters. they will love them! you are such a good mom!

Shonya said...

What a great idea, and what a great list!

Anita J. said...

This was a great read! Your description of the Purplest book brought tears to my eyes. That's a great way to explain how we love different things about our children.

The idea of having each teacher write is so good! I love that idea.

Anita J. said...

I almost forgot to say thank you!

Corin said...

You are such a good mom. Having the teacher write in a book each year and then writing them a letter every year. I feel very lazy right now.

Anonymous said...

Oh, my! Shelby and I dealt with a "last" just last night. She was so sad because she just turned 14. I tried to explain to her that it was a good thing because it meant that she was still here to grow and learn and...etc. Well, she wanted to sit on my lap. It broke her heart even more when I told her she couldn't because she is the size of a grown woman. But I understood her. We just snuggled. It still wasn't enough and I knew that. Don't know what else to say but...growing up is soooo hard and so is being a mommy especially when your child's heart is hurting. Love ya, Kristina

Finding Joy in the Journey said...

How about "Hooray for You!" by Marianne Richmond for Emma? I'm thinking about doing it for Natalee's book...(yep, totally stealing your idea!). Wal-Mart has them right now.