Thursday, February 19, 2009

Balancing Life

Do you ever feel like your parenting/life is off balance.
I will decide that we need to play more games as a family. We will then play games every night...teaching our kids new games and involving everyone.
Then I will go or see some one's kids and be reminded...oh yes, they need to play together without adult interaction all the time.
So, I start making them play more on their own...which they do fine with. They spend ours and ours in their rooms together or apart letting their imaginations run wild.
Then I will see a small child sit down at the computer and know exactly how to get things going. So, I will work a little on my children and computer skills.
Do you see my never ending circle? It's not that I'm second guess my parenting and how much game time, computer time, t.v. time, etc...my kids get. I just get in a rut and forget that there can be a mixture of EVERYTHING. It's kind of like wearing the same 5 things every week...which I am very guilty of or cooking the same 7 meals every week. It's the reminders that....I haven't done something in awhile. I'll clean off the book shelf and find some old easy readers that I would have worked with Colby on. Why haven't I got these out for Emma? I feel like I need lesson plans for parenting sometimes. It makes me wonder...will my children turn out well-rounded or will they be lopsided. It's such a hard balance to maintain and not enough hours in the day!

7 comments:

Bree Shaw said...

i totally hear you. i have these same issues. it is not that i want my kid to be the best or a "genius". i just want them to be able to do a variety of things and not be like you said, lopsided. i think you are doing a great job parenting, in fact you give me lots of ideas:) keep it up and when you do get your lesson plans made for parenting will you make sure and make me a copy?

Finding Joy in the Journey said...

ug...after my whole whopping 2 months of parenting i agree.
she needs to know she's loved & protected, she needs to be able to amuse herself for a few minutes, she needs read to, she needs quiet time, she needs social time, she needs 1-on-1 time, she needs this for this development and that for that development, stimulate the senses, let them rest, hold her, lay her down...are you telling me it only worsens?

I realized after starting back to work last week that she didn't sit in her bouncy seat, swing, or high chair at all b/c I wanted to be with her every waking minute b/c I'd missed her so much. So I gave her my undivided attention while we were home in the evenings...if I don't watch it that's so gonna come back to bite me in the rear!

#1 thing...at least they know we love them, and some day they'll know how hard we tried to make them round, even if they turn out crooked!

Corin said...

First off you and Vance are wonderful parents so you should never doubt that, but I hear you on the strugle. I admire all the outside things that you do with your kids. I so far Steve and I haven't really been able to play outside with Levi to much.
I agee with Jenn, the most important thing is to make sure they know there loved. The rest will work itself out.
As far as round goes lets just look at Emma for example she is the girlest tommy boy you will ever meet. She wears dresses and gum boots. She likes to fish but also cares about makeup and jewlery. How's that for round?

Anonymous said...

corin talked about emma being rounded and she is believe me. let's look at colby he can fun the farm if we let him and besides how many six year olds look through the nemo trader looking for cows and bulls to buy. plus he knows more about the computer than I do.

Diane said...

i just try to do the best i can each day. when your actions are motivated by love, they "get it". so, dont fret so much! :)

kel said...

I never feel like I do enough. I think we all feel that way. It's hard being a mom.

Anonymous said...

First off, take a deep breath. You are going to make yourself crazy, girl! (Yes, I will try to take my own advice!) I truly believe if you spend time with your family, as a family, you are on your way to having well rounded children. Look at you and your sisters. You are all wonderful girls! I believe it's because you had a "family" growing up. Think about it... Love ya, Kristina