Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Devastation

I don't think any of us understand the severe devastation that the ice storm in Southern MO left behind. I was kind of peeved the first couple of days, b/c my husband was not eating hot food and did not have a warm place to sleep. Now, I'm starting to understand.....there was no power...ANYWHERE! I don't think our WHOLE town has ever been without power. The ice storm of 07 left a lot of people chilly, but I never lost power. Yes, I lived NEXT door to a substation, but nevertheless...my bed was warm. I asked Vance why nothing was turned on yet, and he so patiently reminded me that the subs don't even have power! Wow...I didn't think about that!
So an update on his status: He works from 3;30/4:00 a.m. until 9:00-10:30 at night. Last night, he was actually back in the hotel by 9:00! An early night for him! The only hot meal he gets is in the evening from the hotel. Everything else is sack lunches. They set 25-30 poles a day, sometimes climbing everyone of them! He said that it would be a month to get the whole area back on. He's expecting to be there anywhere from 7 to 14 days. If he's gone for 14 days...V-day will be a great time!
So pray for the workers, volunteers, and victims. As lonely as I am, I can't imagine sleeping in a shelter every night and eating what someone else cooked for me.

6 comments:

Cindy said...

wow I did not even have a clue how bad it was.....yes it would not be good to have to live in a shelter and not in our warm cozy houses! If you need to come to my crazy house, you are more than welcome!

Bree Shaw said...

so true. i asked jared why they didn't have running water and he told me b/c the water plants are run by electricity. DUH, on my part! no wonder. here i am complaining about my parking spot and those folks have it a lot worse than me. talk about V-day a great time for you! maybe not for me! oh well!

Corin said...

My heart dropped when I read your title.
I can't even imagine. When I was in high school our electicity was off for a week but we stayed at my grandparents. I don't know what I would do if there was no relative with electricity to go to. I hope Vance is staying safe and as warm as posible

Amee Jones said...

Our guys are kinda like little soldiers aren't they. I don't know about Vance, but James is starting to get worn out. I will be glad when everyone has power and our boys are home.

Finding Joy in the Journey said...

Every night since Vance has left I've been thinking about how awful it would be to have to go stay in a shelter with an infant. Somewhere, down there, someone has an infant & has to be away from home. God keep them! Praying for the guys' safety everyday...

Andrea Frederick said...

Jenn~I've thought about that too....can't imagine my kids, let alone a crying baby. And then think of all those who don't have a baby listening to the crying.
Amee~ I agree. I think they feel pretty good about themselves, even when they are exhausted.