Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Gratifying

Don't you just love a great day? Where what you did affected others? You helped people...mankind...made a difference!?
Vance called me last night, so excited. They were getting ready to "heat up" a line that they have worked on for 3 days. Everyone who had worked on it got together, turned it on and I can just hear the whoops and cheers from here! He was in great spirits last night....talking a mile a minute. They gave 200-300 people power!
He also said they were bringing in 2000 construction linemen today. Their job is to build lines...quickly! I can imagine how quickly it will go with 2000 of them! Still no idea when they will get home, but I talked to the mil of a construction lineman and he's not coming home until March! Wow...now I feel grateful.
Another gratifying subject....Who was surprised by the temperatures yesterday? ME (raising hand)! I did not know it was supposed to get so cold. My main water hydrant froze and so I had to pack water from the house to the ponies and dogs. Not a huge issue, but I was afraid that the frozen pipe would bust and cost many issues, damage, and money. I called my mom to ask her opinion and she told my dad. He came out and checked everything over, decided it was just the hydrant...no other lines and then unfroze it. Carrying 5 gallon buckets of hot water to the hydrant and then unfreezing the hose to water the big calves so I don't have to do it today. Thanks dad....I'm grateful! By the way, we discovered that a 5 gallon bucket will fit in my kitchen sink and my faucet is tall enough to allow the bucket under it. That made filling it up much easier....something to think about when building/renovating.
So....did I do any gratifying work yesterday? Of course, teaching is gratifying everyday. I feel like I make a difference, mold, love, reach children every minute of everyday. Did I turn on the electricity? NO, but hopefully a few light bulbs came on!

1 comment:

Bree Shaw said...

i can only imagine how excited all those guys were. i am excited for them and i am not even the one working on the line.