Wednesday, September 24, 2008

“There must be consistency in direction.”...W. Edwards Deming

Wow...I told you I was going to blog nonsense, but I forgot my day with Colby yesterday. Needless to say, after a rough day at school, I told him his punishment would be no soccer practice. Do you ever feel like the punishment hurts you more than them? Now, I'm stuck at home when I could have visited with ADULTS for an hour! Ughhhh....Anyway, Colby continued on his way down the road of early bedtime and ended up there at 6:00. It killed me to not let him go to practice, b/c he does love it and it's good for him, but when you issue and ultimatum you have to stick with it. Now, don't get me wrong, I am no parenting expert....I just know from my own experience, the more consistent you are the better the behaviour will be the next time around.
Colby and I are going through a rough patch lately. I know part of it is the busyness with the house and hopefully that will get better when it's done. Also, he is at an age now, where everything "boy" is funny and I get tired of it fast. Bree warned me and boy was she right. So when you say your prayers tonight, pray for me and Colby.
Below is a poem I found when looking for a quote. I think I need to remember that my kids learn more and behave better from positive experiences and upbeat attitudes. I feel like our lives are in a rat race lately and can't wait til this house is done and we can settle down again.

When You Thought I Wasn't Looking
When you thought I wasn't looking, I saw you hang up my first painting on the refrigerator, and I wanted to paint another one.
When you thought I wasn't looking, I saw you feed a stray cat, and I thought it was good to be kind to animals.
When you thought I wasn't looking, I saw you make my favorite cake for me, and I knew that little things are special things.
When you thought I wasn't looking, I heard you say a prayer, and I believed there is a God I could always talk to.
When you thought I wasn't looking, I felt you kiss me goodnight, and I felt loved.
When you thought I wasn't looking, I saw that you cared, and I wanted to be everything that I could be.
When you thought I wasn't looking, I LOOKED....and wanted to say thanks for all the things I saw when you thought I wasn't looking.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hang in there, Mom! Your poem is true. Shelby will do things and say things that I have tried to teach her along the way and it amazes me everytime because I, too, thought she wasn't looking/listening and so will Colby. I promise. :) Love ya, Kristina

Corin said...

I was just telling Steve last night that sometimes I just don't feel like making Levi quit playing with things over and over again. Then I have to tell myself I'd rather do it know then in 5 years when he's even less likely to listen.

Finding Joy in the Journey said...

weepy hormones brought tears to my eyes with that poem. it'll get better--i don't know it from experience but i believe it will. call when you need a break--he can come help me unpack & landscape the yard!

Andrea Frederick said...

I love that poem too. Thanks for the encouragement guys...I needed it!

Bree Shaw said...

i left a comment yesterday on here and today i see it isn't there. wahhhh. what did i do:(

anyhow, i said that "i told ya so"! it will get better, i promise. but then i heard yesterday that junior high is bad too with the son/mom deal. i can't hardly wait. and just think i have 2 more to go thru this with.

not sure if that is exactly what i said yesterday but pretty darn close.