Sunday, September 28, 2008

“It pays to plan ahead. It wasn't raining when Noah built the ark.”...author unknown

Vance and I purchased our land in 2001. We have been planning and dreaming about our house ever since. As our plans became reality, we would always hear people say, "Good luck, it's a true test of a marriage." I always thought, WOW...I hope we can make it.

I mean, how rough can it be?

Will we be able to agree?

Well, we are a month away from moving in and we've made it.

I always thought it would be the big decisions that would way on us...vinyl vs. cedar, what color of roof, how many windows....

Nope, it's the weight of the little decisions that makes you irritable.

After working all day, going to the work site and having to decide which way the doors should swing, how many outlets, what finish for the faucets, where do you want light switches, etc.

So....after much thought I have jotted down a few pointers...

My two cents if you will...

In case you are contemplating building.........

1. If you think you will building 1, 5, 10 years start dreaming/planning now.

2. As soon as you start building, start ordering. Don't let anyone talk you out of storing things if you have the room. We are waiting on our front door that could have been purchased and stored if only I had stuck to my guns. We also waited on our faucets, b/c we were told we didn't need them yet. If you have the space...STORE.

3. When planning, understand everything! I mean, if you have this size of bathroom, how big will the vanity be? If your bedroom is ?X? how big can your bed be?

4. Understand that once you make the decision for the color of something it will haunt you forever. The color of our window trim made the decision for soffit, facia, doors, etc.

5. Visit EVERYONE's new house you can, you will need LOTS of ideas.

6. Don't save a penny on windows, doors, faucets, and flooring. Those are things you don't want to have to redo later.

7. Don't pick your contractor b/c it's a popularity contest. Choose the one YOU think is best.

Good luck. I hope everything works out for you.

No comments: