Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Finally....stromboli!

Here you guys go...finally, how I make Stromboli.

First, lay out your frozen bread dough. Below, is the brand I use. If you forget to lay it out, you can thaw it in the microwave. Not ideal, b/c it makes it harder to roll out. Also, I've tried the wheat dough and it seems tough to me, but whatever floats your boat!
Now, roll...roll...roll. Get rough with it. Let gravity help and hang it over the side of your counter top...remember, you are the boss! I roll mine until it's a rectangle.....


Next, fill it with your favs. Some like...
mozzarella cheese
pepperoni
Other ideas...ham and cheese, canandian bacon, browned sausage or hamburger (if I do hamburger I put a little pizza sauce in it b/c it can get dry), onions, peppers, etc....
Whatever you like. I use what I can find in my fridge. I even used leftover baked ham before. After you've filled one side, flop the other side over and crimp. Crimp pretty good, b/c sometimes it will come open.
Brush the top with egg white and sprinkle with garlic salt.
Bake at 350 for about 20 minutes. If you need it finished sooner, crank up the heat. Remember...everything inside is already cooked, so you're just trying to cook the bread. Don't worry if it's not warmed all the way through, although it's better that way. We like to dip ours in ranch or pizza sauce!


Slice and eat....so yummy.
The kids like to help too!

8 comments:

Bree Shaw said...

mmmm, those look sooooo yummy! wish you would invite me over for some since mine are never as good as yours! you just do such a better job at rolling, the whole gravity thing and crimping!

Corin said...

Don't you just love recipies like this where you can change it up and get lots of use out of it.

Cindy said...

you made me hungry....they are sooo yummyyyyyy!

Shonya said...

Mmmmm. . .can I steal the idea and have some for supper sometime this week???? :)

Andrea Frederick said...

shonya ~ yes please, steal away....that's what friends are for! teachers steal a lot too, that's what makes us great! agree....

Finding Joy in the Journey said...

I agree with Bree...my rolling just isn't as good as yours!

Hillary said...

Hey Andrea! I keep up on you, Corin, and Angie via your blogs - hope that's ok. I just wanted to add that I make something similar using the pillsbury pizza dough in a can - they are smaller, but come already flat so no rolling required! Have a great day!

Ladybird said...

My mom used to make this all the time! You have inspired me! I may have to try to make Stromboli this weekend! YUM!