Monday, March 16, 2009

Colby Update

Well, it seemed like lockdown was helping. He had to tell Bronson, "No thank you"....to going over to Bronson's house on Wednesday night. That night after church he said, "Mom, I'm going to be good now, b/c I want to play with Bronson." Later we found out Bronson told Colby he had better get it together or they were never going to get to play again! Couldn't have said it better myself....Bronson.
Thursday and Friday were great. He even had a good weekend....I was especially proud of him when Emma and I went to the carnival and he stayed at home.
So, I thought we had rounded the corner...no such luck.
Today, Emma and Colby had to feed the dogs to go on a walk. To make a long story short, he made a bad choice...which ended in no walk. He threw a fit and once again went into immediate lockdown. Emma said and did the appropriate things and got rewarded. The good news, you ask....when Vance went down to his room to check on him he was reading his Bible voluntarily...and reading, not just looking at the pictures. Also, he's much better now...no more grumpy faces and stomping. Maybe we're getting through that thick head, it's just going to be baby steps! I've said CONTROL so many times, I'm tired of hearing myself...you would think think he would be tired of me!
Thanks for all of your thoughts, prayers, and encouraging words!

9 comments:

Amee Jones said...

You are a very strong person to stick to your guns. I look up to that in you. I pray that I can have that strength as a parent. I am sure that it will all be worth it in the end. Hang in there. You are in my prayers.

Anonymous said...

I think you are doing a great job and I am glad you are updating. It is so hard to be consistent when everything in you probably wants to just hug him and let him go hang with his friend or go to the carnival. Stay strong!

Laci

Finding Joy in the Journey said...

2 steps forward, 1 step back. eventually you'll be more forward than reverse! you're doing great...hang tough & when you get tired call...i can do the lockdown thing. i'd make a mean prison guard!

Anonymous said...

Aw sweetie! you've got so much fun ahead of you! As a mother of a 21 year old boy/man... I'm here to tell you. The fun has just begun. Isn't there a quote from the Bible.. Train up a child in the way that is right...
Those sweet/trying little boys grow up to be such sweet/loving men.Hang in there!
Annette

Corin said...

Just think about the battles that your preventing in the future by going through this now. Colby's a good kid I have complete confidence he'll get it together. I'll be praying for you both.

Bree Shaw said...

everyone else has pretty much summed it up:) you are doing a great job with him and being consistent. i know it has been very hard for you but you will be so glad you did it later. call anytime you need me:)

Erin said...

I have no wise parenting advice, but I think you're doing a great job. It's much harder to be the bad guy than always be the good guy. That's true for all relationships, so I know about that! I'm glad things are looking up. It's like Jenn said, 2 steps forward, 1 step back. It's always worse before it gets better :)

Anonymous said...

I'm so happy things are getting better for you and Colby. I think about you both very often. Just remember that he will have good days and bad days, good months and bad months. It's all part of growing up and seeing if mom has forgotten or if she still means buisness! Wait for the day he tries go gain his independance...geesh! Growing up is hard and trying to be a good parent never stops... but in the long run, it will get better! Love ya, Kristina

Shonya said...

Thinking of you. . .I saw a great article about the ABC's of parenting:

A--always win the battle
B--be gentle
C--consistence, consistently

Thought that was great! Just wanted to share. Keep up the good work. :)