Wednesday, November 11, 2009

to video game or not to video game....

that is the question.

We have no video games in our house. None. Period. I wanted to keep it that way, but my son is obsessed. So obsessed that when he goes to someone's house thats all. he. wants. to. do. He is glued. Kind of like the kid that never gets candy and then comes over to your house and goes crazy. Or the child that never has pop until junior high and at a slumber party her eyeballst start to swim. I don't want him to be that kid. Sooooo, Santa is bringing a Wii. I want to teach him how to limit himself and learn self control before he is out in the real world...away from all my mothering opinions and knowledge. Hopefully, he and Emma will learn to not abuse a privilege and it will be a good tool for punishment. We don't really have anything to take away now, the things they enjoy the most are playing games with us and being read to. How do you tell your child that their punishment is no time with mom and dad? Granted, we have sent one to bed early when the behavior seemed appropriate and let the other one have more mommy/daddy/child time. I just don't want being ignored to be the punishment. Most negative behaviors stem from parent neglect in our house. I can usually tell that I have spent too much time on the phone or computer by how my children are acting.
Whew...I got off the subject.
What are your views on video games?
We will still not allow violent games into our home. Just racing, hunting, sports, etc.
We will also not allow hours upon hours of playing. Mostly in the winter months an hour before bed or on the weekend to let mom and dad sleep a little longer:)
That's the plan now, anyway.....

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Andrea. I'm like you and never wanted it in the house until the year we needed something to reward with. Nolen spent half the year earning his first gameboy and then had to earn time on it for the weekends. We now have a Wii and they love it. It's a great tool for sharing and learning to tell time. We have four that like to play it and get so many minutes on it then it's time to trade. We only get it on the weekends and that can be lost with inappropriate behavior. You and Vance will love it too. Have fun and enjoy.
Laurie

Corin said...

I'm a everything in moderation person so I think as long as your not letting them do it all day, everyday it will be fine. But I'm probably not the best person to ask because I really want a Wii for me. I also think that it will be a fun thing to do as a family, but I've never played one so what do I know.
Have fun and Can I come over a play?

Bree Shaw said...

jared was one that didn't want video games in the house b/c he didn't want the kids sitting in front of the tv all the time and not playing outside. i did talk him into getting a playstation for the boys and then the wii. the boys do not abuse it AT ALL. they play it but seriously not very much. mostly when friends come over or during the winter. bronson wants a nintendo ds for xmas and this is the thing i have trouble with. i hate seeing those kids sit and play on those things E.V.E.R.Y.W.H.E.R.E. it makes me crazy. so if we do get him one it will be for the car or house only, not sitting in a drs office or something like that. you guys will love the wii. it is a fun think to do as a family, especially the bowling:)and big plus with the wii is that they are moving around not sitting and vegging out.

Cindy said...

HMMM video games......well my girls are not big on them, but Rachel is asking for a DS...I totally agree with limiting the time and where they play them...ours will be used for the car and house....I as a child had no video game until I was a Junior in high school and did not really like it then......

Shonya said...

Hmmm. . .good question! I don't totally know what I think. . .we don't have any, to start with. I think they can kill a kid's creativity and make an already lazy society even lazier. I also hate the way kids have a friend over and then they sit around and play video games! Seriously?! What's the point of having friends over then? But I TOTALLY get the moderation thing and the idea of kids being obsessed with something they don't have. Destry could easily be a video game junky--and Easton even more so! We DO have computer games, educational stuff. . .hmmmmm. Like my rambling and no staunch opinion?! :)

On a related note, I recently had the opportunity to try Wii Fit and LOVE IT!!!!! It's fun, but a good workout--seriously painful thigh muscles! I'm trying to get in shape a little bit to join you all in aerobics--I'm afraid I would have a heart attack I'm so out of shape!!! :)

Anonymous said...

Hey Colby and I were just talking about that the other day. I asked him what he wanted santa to bring him and he told me a play station. Our conversation, me- hm, you know how you mom feels about video games, do you remember? Colby- ya I know but it will be alright cuz I'm gonna tell her I won't play it all the time, me- when will play it, Colby-- oh you know when I'm bored, I still go outside and stuff. me-- well I don't know about that, I hope santa talks to your mom and dad before he brings you one. Colby-- well if he talks to my dad it will be ok cause dad really wants one too.!! end of conversation.

Anonymous said...

The best thing about the Wii is that they don't just sit glued to the TV, they have to get up and move and, it's FUN. You can play it together. Bowling and tennis and baseball, etc. And Wii fit will insult you just enough to make you want to prove it wrong. I'm still made enough at my mom's that I'm determined to get myself one for Christmas so I can prove that silly board wrong! I don't think you'll regret your Wiicision. - Laci