Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Mom's Fix-It

In light of our recent bout of sickness, my husband has been exposed to a couple of things....
Salt Water
Debrox
What?
You don't know what they are either?
My mom used them to FIX EVERYTHING!
Sore throat?
Gargle with salt water
Tongue hurt?
Gargle with salt water
Earache?
Get the debrox and cotton balls
Think you have a toothache?....nah it's just an earache
Get the debrox

ha ha!

No really.

Gargling does help, A lot!
I made my kids do it for the first time this past week. Vance just stood in the doorway and watched, mouth hung open. He had never heard of such a thing.

Then tonight, my ears are filled with fluid and driving me crazy, so I had him drop some debrox in them. He asked what it did? I dunno, it makes me feel better.

I asked him what his mom did for fix-its.....

He didn't know. Apparently not salt water or debrox....

Come on, Joyce, let us have it....what were your mom fix-its?

And my favorite from my mom.....

Are you ready for it?

Mom's now cringing, wondering what's going to come next.

Here it comes....

Tummy hurt?

Fart and get over it:)!

True story.

What are your mom fix-its?

6 comments:

Bree Shaw said...

i have heard you say fart and get it over with many of times:) that is hilarious and i can totally see your mom saying that!

Anonymous said...

My mom's cure for everything was "hot soapy dishwater on your hands"! We girls hated doing the dishes, but took turns every other night. We'd complain, "I've got cramps", or "I hurt my foot", or anything and she'd just tell us to go wash dishes and we'd feel better in no time!...I still hate washing dishes!
Annette

Corin said...

My Mom is a big believer in the salt water. Can't believe Vance had never heard of that. to this day if I call and say my throat hurts, she says, "you better gargle with salt water tonight." That's the only one I can really think of. However, I did take buble gum flavored amoxicilin through most of my childhood, because I had tonsilitis so often. To this day I love that flavor and that smell.

Shonya said...

too funny! Your mom sounds like my dad! We also put alum powder on canker sores (shudder). Upset stomach? Baking soda and water. Having a hard time keeping anything down? jello water

Wish I could remember all the remedies my grandparents had! Grandma made a homemade 'salve' for cuts and such--wonder what was in it! :)

Bree Shaw said...

oh yeah shonya.... my mom believes in the jello water too. it is soooo good when it it nice and warm:)

Erin said...

Mom made us do the salt water thing. Also alum powder on canker sores and she would put cured bacon if we had a splinter or something deep because the salt draws it to the surface, nasty, but effective. She always made us put milk soaks on a sunburn, which I still do and it still makes me gag b/c I feel like I smell like rotten milk.

My favorite was something my dad did. If we burned ourselves, like oven, curling iron, etc. He would "talk" to it. He would just rub his fingers over it and whisper, and magically it would stop hurting. Since dad died, mom became the official burn talker, but it never worked as good as dads. Trenton sometimes gets the job now.

I still drink Jello water when my stomach is upset. Especially peach...oh Gma, how I miss you!