Monday, May 10, 2010

My Boy

That first born...what a special spot they hold. Here is a recap of Colby's day.
Showing off his gift from last night. He got a hunting game for the Wii. Everyone enjoyed it !

He's not a cake lover. We put MORE glaze on Krispy Creme doughnuts and then sprinkles. YUM!
This is his birthday tree!
His dad picked out a new saddle!
Natalee got a ride too.
Soooo...the story. The first grandchild on my side. Oh how we awaited your arrival. There was painting and baby showers and fun! I was due on May 2nd. That day came and went. On May 8th, I was induced. I will forever be thankful that my doctor didn't use pit. She wanted my body ready first. However emotionally trying it was, I'm glad that my body got use to the idea before the heavy duty artillery was brought out. On May 9th, I was going to be sent home. Nothing was happening and of course, I was heartbroken. Who goes into the hospital thinking you are leaving without a baby? I know that I still had a baby, but I wanted to hold him and snuggle him....
Right before we got ready to leave, I was checked one more time and my water broke! HA! I was staying. I had terrible back labor, but after Colby turned all was well. I had him at 1:51 a.m. on Friday morning, May 10th. I loved my Dr....she was a student dr. and very attentive. We didn't know we were having a boy, but we were pretty confident. He weighed 8 lbs. and was 23 inches long.
Our first picture together.
Proud Papa and his cigar
My first mother's day, just 2 days later. Not the best picture, but a wonderful day. My mom came and cooked fried chicken for me in my tiny house and it was scrumptious!
Colby's first picture on a saddle, in July, in North Dakota. He has always been a cowboy at heart.
Colby and Dad...one of their first pictures.
Colby,
As you grow, I catch glimpses of the young man your going to become. I am so proud of the caring and sensitive boy you are. I get so nervous when you climb on top of a horse or step into the cow pen, but I know that your dad has taught you to be careful. I wasn't sure I was ready to be a mother, let alone the mother of a boy, but boy have I learned. I love to see the joy on your face when you've shot a bird, or hear the sweetness in your voice when you are playing with Natalee. Can't wait to see what year 9 looks like!
Happy Birthday!
Love,
Mom

7 comments:

Bree Shaw said...

love the recap! he is such a great kid and it has been so much fun watching him grow these last few years. i love the friendship that him and bronson have. although they are a couple of years apart... you would never know it by how close they are. i hope that friendship continues forever. Happy birthday Colby!

Bree Shaw said...

btw.... you look fantastic in the first picture of you two together. you would never know that you had just given birth! so jealous:)

Finding Joy in the Journey said...

ah, bree, she was young and resiliant...that's why she looks so good!

seriously--what a long 2 days we waited for that little boy to get here, and what serious spoiling we did after he arrived. thanks for letting us be such a big part in his life...he's turn into quite a young man!

Corin said...

Let's see where to start:
A. Love the Krispy Kremes!
B. Love his tree.
C. Can't believe how much the same he looks in that first picture.
D. He's an awesome little boy, I get such a kick out of how manly his taste is. What a blessing he is to every life he touches.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Colby! Love, Mrs. Garrett

Shonya said...

My post from last night isn't showing up. . .I said I can't believe how fast these years have gone (must be getting old!) and LOVE that you deemed the Krispy Kremes as needing MORE icing! chuckling

Anonymous said...

So proud of that little boy, who isn't so little anymore. Looks like you helped him have a GREAT birthday.

Love, Lauren