Thursday, September 2, 2010

Church Camp

I-MO Christian Service Camp holds a very special spot in my heart. It was somewhere that my parents made sure I went every summer, no matter how tight the finances. I looked forward to going for weeks and would pack and repack my suitcase until it was just right! (and then leave something at home anyway). I started going as a pee wee camper, where you stay for 3 nights and went until I was a Senior in highschool. I-Mo is where I met my husband, and we both hold many good memories close to our heart.
Just a glimpse of the Chapel can bring a flood of memories. Memories of the Holy Spirit working so hard...memories of fleeing to the dorm for my last $2.00 of canteen money to put in the offering in hopes that we would make our goal. Memories of singing old fashion hymns with an overhead projector. Memories of practicing skits of our favorite Bible stories. Everyone was at church camp for the same reason...because the love Jesus. Not because of their size, clothes, or last name....what a safe place to be!
This past month, Vance and I had the privilege to take our family back to I-MO. It was the camp's annual family camp weekend and the camp's 50th Anniversary. What a surreal feeling, to be there with our kids. To show them all the things we treasured and hold our breath to see if the felt the same way. To tell them, if everyone gets off the bench in the mess hall and you are the only one sitting, it will turn over. The bell...means you should be somewhere, so go! Midnight swims are awesome...don't pass them up. Take your hat off when you eat or some little old lady will do it for you. All the great things kids should know!
Emma's friend was there for Saturday and Sunday! What a great surprise!
They spent many hours over here on those teeter totters!
Colby learning the proper way to play box hockey. It's kind of a right of passage...and he loved it. He had to twist Vance's arm to get him to play.
Colby also took his fishing pole and managed to catch several fish.
We saw many old deans and were reminded of some age old traditions. What a rejuvenating weekend....I think I need another one!



3 comments:

Bree Shaw said...

what an awesome post! i can't even imagine all the memories that came flooding back and what a feeling it was to show your kids all the ropes, and to be there as "a family".

Corin said...

Ah... memories. I only went one year so I don't have quite the same tradition feeling, but it would be so strange to be there as an adult. So surreal to be in a place that played such a major role in shaping who we are as people.

Anonymous said...

"what a safe place to be," I love that. That is exactly what church camp should mean to every child that gets to go there. The mountain at NYR makes me feel exactly the same way. Almost like going home when you get there. So glad you had a good time. I pray that I-MO made it into your kids' hearts as much as it is in yours.

Love, Lauren