Monday, April 26, 2010

Color


I've been pondering this question for awhile.
Do you think color is important?
I think being introduced to crayons and having the opprotunity to explore with them is important. It builds fine motor skills and is most definitely a stepping stone to writing. But the actual art of coloring...in the lines....back and forth....making it pretty.
Is that important?
I'm pretty sure my kindergarten grade card had a place to mark "Colors Neatly".
Our kindergarten card doesn't anymore, but I think it did when I started teaching.
I'm just not sure how important it actually is.
Emma is better at it than Colby, obviously...he's a boy and doesn't like it.
What is the value in teaching a child that shows no interest to do it nicely?
Seriously?
I know, What if they don't want to read b/c they have no interest? Are you going to make them learn?
Well, yes.
But what job interview are you going to go to where they ask you to color neatly in the lines.
If it appeals to you...it will come naturally....
so....what do you think?

2 comments:

Bree Shaw said...

i really don't know how important it is. all of my kids all color good, so i have never really thought about it.

Finding Joy in the Journey said...

I think it's good for discipline training but needn't be made a must all the time. Like everything, children should know when you say to color neatly you mean it and when you say "free choice" they may do as they please.

As far as the job interview--not that "colors neatly" will be interviewed but probably "willing to do things I really don't want to do" might be noted! :)