Sunday, February 27, 2011

Side Table

So last Sunday I begged Vance to go out to my dad's barn and get barn board...my original reasoning was to reframe a couple of mirrors that I had gotten. He went...grudgingly, but he went:) They sat in the shop for the week and then I started to get an itch to do something with them. I also kept thinking about these 2 porch columns that I found in my dad's barn too...that place is full of treasures.
This afternoon (my mom kept the kids) Vance and I made a table. It started as a sofa table, but then it kept growing and growing.
These were two 8 foot long porch columns and we decided that putting them too close together would make them look funny. So we expanded the table and it is now a side board. That's what they are called, right? You know...where fancy people keep their food until they are served?
I haven't varnished or painted anything yet. I'll wait for nicer weather.
I think I'm going to paint the legs a weathered red and then try a glazing technique to show off all of the pretty grooves and such. I am really excited about this. It seems that I don't have many spots to just have pretties and I hope to be able to spread out some of my stuff.
Annette...notice the baskets:)
The 3 tier plate stand is all things from the dollar tree or salvation army.
I can't wait to build the sofa table now!
p.s. Thanks mom for having the kids out...we had a much needed break!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

lovely side board! Yes, I noticed the baskets. The whole deal looks great.
A-net

Lindsay said...

Excuse me while I wipe the drool off the side of my face. I love it! You're so talented!!

Corin said...

I love it. Good work.

Shonya said...

You go girl!! I love it!