Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Blizzard 2011

Storm of the Century...that is what some are calling it. I think I'll definitely remember it! Here is a picture taken at the end of December....
Here is that same view today...the tree line looks like it's a million miles away!
We fed our dogs 3 times today...mostly to check on them and also to make sure they kept their energy up. The first time I went out I fashioned this windblock for Sue and Colby and I put more hay in her doghouse.
She thanked me and Bull wanted to know where his windblock was. Around 9:30 this evening, Vance went out and brought all 3 dogs into his shed. He said all of their dog houses were packed full of snow.
Here are my flower beds which are 2 bricks high.
One more picture this afternoon....
Vance got sent home at 3:00...first time since he's worked there that I can remember them going home because of the weather. EVERYTHING in Lancaster has closed....gas stations, stores, etc.
Throughout the evening, the wind blew harder and harder and we even heard thunder. All of our doors and windows look like this. It's kind of hard to imagine, but I feel a little caged in. I can't imagine weathering this store in a 1 room, windowless cabin in the middle of the prairie.

Around 10, I opened my garage door to find this. It's about 5 feet high.
Hard to see the depth in a photograph, so I stuck my tiki torch in.


I tried to take pictures of the driveway, but the snowflakes wouldn't get out of the way:) I'm sure it'll be a sight in the morning!
I am so thankful for my warm house and a shed with wood heat if we were to lose electricity. I am also thankful that my husband is home safe and sound. This is the storm that writes history, but also takes lives. I pray that every one, even the thrill seekers, stay home. Roads don't need to be cleared.....until it's safe. NOTHING is so important to risk your life and the life of those who will have to dig you out of that snow bank.
We begin day 2 of the Blizzard 2011 tomorrow. It's kind of a weird feeling to go to bed and not know what you will find in the morning.
To remember:
Culver Stockton called off school for the first time in forever as did Truman.
My dad did not make it all the way home and walked the rest of the way.
Businesses closed....Casey's....BP.....
I'm sure there are many more, I'll have to add more later.

No comments: